- 2 cups very hot strong brewed coffee
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (or Splenda)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- lightly sweetened whipped cream, for garnish (optional)
- In a medium-size bowl, stir the hot coffee, sugar, and orange zest until the sugar dissolves.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Transfer the liquid to a shallow bottomed bowl or square metal cake pan and place in the freezer.
- Wait about 30 to 40 minutes, until the sides start to freeze, then stir the mixture gently with a wooden spoon, especially around the edges.
- Put the granita back in the freezer and repeat the stirring every 20 to 30 minutes, until the mixture is grainy-frozen.
- Transfer to well-chilled bowls – the chilled bowls are important, especially in summer, to prevent it from melting; in fact, chill your spoons too.
- Serve, garnished with whipped cream if desired.