- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup Imperial sugar or Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated sugar
- 5 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 lemon peel, grated
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
How to make it
- Place the egg yolks and cornstarch in a cup of cold milk.
- Whisk until no lumps remain. In a separate pot, over medium heat, bring the rest of the milk to a boil with the cinnamon, grated lemon peel and sugar.
- After the mixture boils for three minutes, add to it the prior preparation of milk, egg yolks and cornstarch.
- Stir well and strain the mixture through a sieve or through cheese cloth to eliminate any lumps from the combined mixture.
- Return the mixture to the stove, stirring it gently until it boils again and reaches a creamy consistency.
- At this point, remove it from the stove and place it in individual clay custard cups or ramekins.
- Place the custard in the refrigerator to cool.
- Once cooled and just prior to serving, sprinkle with sugar and burn the surface by placing it under an oven broiler or by using a kitchen-style torch until the sugar caramelizes.
- Serve immediately.