What You’ll Need
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for sautéing
- 1 medium white onion (finely chopped)
- 1 small green pepper (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 small potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 8 to 10 green olives (pitted)
How to Make It
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil (or more if necessary). Sauté the onions, green pepper, and garlic until soft.
- Add the ground beef mixture, beef stock, and tomato sauce. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the diced potatoes. Cover and cook another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are done.
- Remove the cover. Add the olives and cook uncovered 15 minutes or until the liquid is fully evaporated, but the meat is still moist.
- Serve the picadillo warm with rice or let cool and use as a filling for empanadas and papas rellenas.