- 500 g chicken thigh fillets (you can use a whole chicken or chicken breast instead), cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 sweet potato (medium) cut into long thick sticks (like English chips), 180g
- 1/2 carrot (small) diagonally sliced, 60g
- 1/4 cabbage (small) shredded, 320g
- 10 leaves Korean perilla thinly sliced, 35g
- 18 pieces Korean rice cakes (175g) separated, if you use pre-packaged rice cakes, separate them first then soak in warm water for 10 minutes before you use them
- Some cooking oil (2 to 3 Tbsp) – I used rice bran oil
Marinade sauce (mix these well in a bowl)
- 3 Tbsp gochujang Korean chili paste
- 2 Tbsp rice wine
- 1 Tbsp gochugaru Korean chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp raw sugar
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp Korean curry powder
- 1/2 onion (small) grated or minced, 35g
- Few sprinkles ground black pepper
- Marinate the chicken in the marinade for at least 30 mins. (Though I strongly recommend marinating it for at least 4 hrs and if you can afford more time for overnight for better flavored chicken. However if you are really short of time, 30 mins is OK.)
- Preheat a wok/skillet on medium high heat and once heated add some cooking oil.
- Put all the vegetables and rice cakes into the wok/skillet and add the meat on top. Cook them on medium high heat initially (until the outer layer of chicken is cooked) then reduce the heat to medium or medium low. Stir them well while it is cooking.
- If you’re cooking at the table start eating them as they get ready. Otherwise, serve when everything is cooked.