- 500 g sweet potato (1.1 pounds), you can use any sweet potatoes that are suitable for deep-frying or roasting (e.g. beauregard‘ variety). FYI, I used Korean sweet potatoes.
- Some cooking oil for deep-frying, enough to cover the sweet potatoes in a pot
- Some crushed nuts or roasted sesame seeds, to garnish
- 3 Tbsp raw sugar
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil , I used rice bran oil
- Wash the sweet potato, peel the skin and cut it into small chunks (not too thick as it will take longer to cook through). Soak them in cold water for 30 minutes to reduce the starch.
- Drain away the water and thoroughly wipe off the water from the sweet potatoes with kitchen paper.
- Boil the deep-frying oil in a large pot until it reaches 180 degree C (356F) and add the sweet potatoes and cook until cooked through (about 5 to 8 minutes).
- Take out the fried sweet potatoes and place them onto some kitchen paper to soak away the excess oil.
- Add the cooking oil in a well heated pan and scatter the sugar around. Melt it over medium high heat until the sugar dissolves then quickly reduce the heat to low. Add the sweet potatoes into the pan and mix well with the sauce (for 1 to 2 minutes).
- Move the sweet potatoes onto non stick baking paper to cool down for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve. (You can garnish with some crushed nuts or sesame seeds for extra savory taste.)