What You’ll Need
- 1 medium eggplant, trimmed, unpeeled, and sliced into strips 1/8- to 1/16-inch thick
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 8 ounces soda water
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (sea salt preferred)
- Oil for frying
How to Make It
- Put eggplant slices in a bowl, cover with the 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and let sit 20 to 25 minutes. A liquid will accumulate at the bottom of the bowl—pour this off before dipping eggplant in the batter.
- To make the batter, pour the soda water into a bowl, and stir in flour and salt slowly, using a whisk or fork to mix.
- Bring oil to high heat in a large pot. Coat eggplant in the batter, and using a fork, place pieces in the oil and fry 5 to 6 minutes, until golden on both sides and batter puffs up.
- Drain on absorbent paper toweling just long enough to remove excess oil. Serve hot.