What You’ll Need
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 pound small, fresh carrots, scrubbed and tops removed
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 pound fresh sugar snap peas
- 1 tablespoon packed fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
How to Make It
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the butter melts and the pan is hot, add carrots and toss well. Spread the carrots out into a single layer and season with salt.
- Add broth and cover, reducing heat to a low simmer. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, depending on the thickness of your carrots.
- Uncover and add garlic and snap peas on top of carrots. Cover and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Uncover and turn up the heat to medium-high. Cook until all of the liquid cooks off and season again with salt to taste.
- Remove from heat and top with fresh parsley and a drizzle of olive oil (if using).
- Rainbow carrots make this an especially colorful dish, and might entice your kids to give it a try! I used orange and purple carrots.
- If you don’t have fresh parsley handy, fresh cilantro or thyme also add good flavor. Add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro in place of the parsley, or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves.
Spice things up by adding a healthy pinch of red pepper flakes, cumin, or paprika during step 4