- Sweet rice flour (glutinous rice flour),
- roasted soybean powder
- mugwort powder for ssuk injeolmi)
- Place 1 cup of sweet rice flour, ¼ ts salt, 1 tbs sugar, and ¾ cup of water in a microwavable bowl. Mix it well to make rice cake dough.
- Cover it with Saran wrap, and cook it in a microwave oven for 3 minutes.
- Mix the hot dough with a wooden spoon for about 20 seconds. Put the Saran wrap back on and cook 1 more minute in the microwave.
- Transfer the rice cake dough into a mortar and pound it for about 1 minute (pound 50 times). You’ll make bubbles and then hear the bubbles popping out while you pound, which mean the consistency of the rice cake is just right: chewy and elastic.
*tip: Put a little cold water on your hands when you want to touch the dough so that it won’t stick to your fingers and will keep you from burning yourself.
- Spread ½ cup roasted soybean powder on a cutting board and place your pounded rice cake in the powder. Roll it around a bit to cover it with a light dusting of powder.
- Cut into bite size pieces.
- Coat each piece of the rice cake with the roasted soy bean powder and transfer to a serving plate.
Sprinkle with sugar when you serve.
Same directions as above, and add 1 tbs ssukgaru (mugwort powder) and 1 tbs water to the dough water you mix it.