INGREDIENTS (MAKES 6 MEDIUM SUPPLI)
- 200g rice (carnaroli/risotto rice)
- 150g peeled or chopped tomatoes
- 80g minced beef
- ½ glass of wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium mozzarella (cubed)
- Breadbrumbs (for coating)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Vegetable stock (or boiling water)
- 2 eggs
- To prepare the ragu sauce, brown the meat in some olive oil, add the red wine and the tomatoes.
- Cook your rice directly in the sauce mixture, adding the broth or water. Salt to taste. Let this cook and thicken until the liquid has completely evaporated. If the rice seems cooked before the liquid has absorbed, drain the rice and place the finished risotto in a separate bowl to cool. Ideally, suppli are made with leftover rice from the day before, as the rice becomes sticky and the suppli hold together nicely.
- Beat the eggs and chop the mozzarella into little cubes.
- Grab a handful of rice with wet hands, place a cube of mozzarella in the center, and fold the rice around it to form a nice oval shape.
- Dip the suppli in the egg, and then in the breadcrumbs, making sure it holds together in the process.
- Heat the oil well (the perfect temperature would be about 180°C) and deep fry the suppli until golden brown. Drain and serve hot.